Visit the Tasmanian Government website
 

   ABANDONED MINES REHABILITATION  | INFRASTRUCTURE MAP  | PRODUCTION STATISTICS  | TASMANIA'S MINES 



Avebury Mine
The Avebury deposits, six kilometres west of Zeehan, were discovered in 1997 by drilling. Full scale underground mining commenced in December 2006, with the first nickel concentrates being produced in July 2008. The mine is currently on care and maintenance.
Beaconsfield Gold Mine
The Tasmania mine at Beaconsfield was one of Australia's richest and deepest mines until its closure in 1914. The mine was worked to a depth of 450 metres and produced 800,000 ounces of gold. Following closure, the mine was allowed to flood and the surface collar of the shaft was affected by subsidence.
Cement Australia
Cement Australia Holdings P/L operates a cement manufacturing plant at Railton, 16 km south of Devonport on Tasmania's northwest coast. The raw material source is Ordovician limestone which is mined in quarries adjacent to the plant. Coal, mined in the Fingal Valley, is also used in the manufacturing process.
Cornwall Coal
Coal has been mined in various areas of Tasmania from the earliest days of European settlement, with major deposits of black coal being discovered in the Fingal Valley in 1863. The completion of the railway line to St Marys in 1886 enabled the establishment of large scale coal mining in the Fingal Valley and this area has provided the majority of Tasmania's coal since this time.
Hellyer Mine
Western Metals Resources Ltd operated the world-class Hellyer underground mine near Waratah in western Tasmania. The mine was opened in 1989 on a blind ore body discovered in 1983 by modern exploration techniques. The ore was concentrated on site, with the concentrates railed to Burnie for shipment.
Henty Mine
The Henty mine is operated by Unity Mining Limited. The project, which was the result of some twenty years of exploration effort by RGC Group companies, was officially opened in July 1996.
Mt Lyell Mine
The Queenstown area of western Tasmania has a long history of mining, with the Mt Lyell Mining and Railway Company operating continuously for over 100 years from 1893 until closure in December 1994. The Queenstown area is famous for its barren tree-less landscape, with the lush rainforest being killed by a combination of bushfires, timber harvesting, and the fumes from the pyritic smelting process used to refine the copper ore. The mine is now operated by Copper Mines of Tasmania.
Renison Mine
The first discovery of tin in the Renison Bell area of western Tasmania was made in 1890, with mining having been continuous until 2003. Mining of the sulphide ore was limited by poor recoveries until the development of the sulphide flotation process.
Rosebery Mine
The Minerals and Metals Group (MMG) operates a silver-lead-zinc mine at Rosebery on Tasmania's west coast. The history of mining in this area dates back to 1893, when the first discovery of mineralisation was made in a creek on the slopes of Mt Black. The Electrolytic Zinc Company of Australasia Limited purchased the Rosebery mines in 1920 and operated them until EZ was taken over North Broken Hill Peko Limited in 1984, with Pasminco Mining being formed in 1988.
Savage River Mine
Since 1965 Savage River Mines, a wholly-owned subsidiary of Pickands Mather International, operated an open-cut magnetite mine at Savage River west of Waratah and a pellet plant and loading facility at Port Latta on the northwest coast. PMI, after examining a number of options, decided to cease operations on completion of their current pit mining plan, with open-cut operations ceasing in April 1996 and all stockpiled ore being treated by the end of 1996. The operation was sold to Australian Bulk Minerals and mining recommenced in November 1997. The mine is now operated by Grange Resources Limited.
MRT Home/ Exploration and Mining/ Mineral Industry/ Tasmania's Mines


This page has been produced by Mineral Resources Tasmania, Department of Infrastructure, Energy and Resources, Tasmania. Questions concerning its content can be directed by e-mail to info@mrt.tas.gov.au. Questions concerning the site may be directed by e-mail to mrtweb@mrt.tas.gov.au or by mail to PO Box 56, Rosny Park, TAS 7018.

The URL for this page is http://www.mrt.tas.gov.au/
You are directed to a disclaimer information and copyright notice and a Personal Information Protection statement
governing the information provided.




Visit the Tasmanian Government website